Friday, April 6, 2012

Profile: Ellie Beck of "Red Seed Studio"


Name: Ellie Beck
Stall name: Red Seed Studio
What are you selling at Sew & Tell? Hand screen printed organic textiles, homewares, clothing, accessories, jewellery, as well as other little pieces as I make them.

Q. What is your craft / creative outlet of choice?
A. Oh, I do really love screen printing – it’s such a satisfying final image, crisp and clean, but I can get messy while doing it. But really I love just doing different things; extending myself and teaching myself new crafts. Sewing, hand stitching, crochet, cooking, writing, photography, collecting, styling…..

Q. Who is your craft idol?
A. Perhaps my mum – she used to do so many varied crafts and creative practices. Her everyday life was pretty colourful and creative. She taught me to look and enjoy and that it doesn’t have to be perfect. I remember sitting by her side watching her knit or crochet with wonderful yarns and fabulous stitches. My dad also has been a big influence on me – he has great technical skills and precision with all he does. Really I’m actually quite easily influenced not so much by people, but by what they do.

Q. Who taught you to craft?
A. Mostly self-taught, I guess; but also from school and childhood. I was lucky to go to a Steiner school for primary, where everyday was creative and colourful. And I had some excellent art teachers at high school. My whole family is creative – I grew up around every day life being a learning and crafting experience. But practice and dedication and making mistakes has taught me a lot as well.

Q. Who or what inspires you to be creative?
A. Just going outside – looking at the colours of fallen leaves, or feathers, or the clouds. My two young children are crazily talented in their own creativeness and that always inspires me. There’s so much out there (online, and books, and movies and going to galleries) – I try to soak it all up, and it permeates through and into something else. Working with my husband, Sam, is a collaborative process which is inspiring in itself, as is spending time with other creatives in the community. Sitting in a sewing/crafting circle is so good to get ideas flowing.

Q. Which talent would you most like to have?
A. In practical terms I’d really like to be tidy – but I’m simply not. I’d love to be able to sing beautifully, that would be good.

Q. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A. I’m not sure perfect happiness actually exists, so I aim instead for pure contentment. Having time in the sunshine, knowing the dishes are already washed, reading or talking with loved ones, and hand stitching a slow project. Figs and chocolate might be there too. Laughter and the children dancing and playing……..

Q. What is your greatest fear?
A. hmmmmmmm…. – often it’s that I won’t be good enough, but I’m trying to work through that. I think my greatest fear happened (my mum dying), so I’m over fears.

Q. What is your current state of mind?
A. Sunshine, flowers from my garden, crafts by my side, chocolate molten cakes for afternoon tea. It’s pretty good right now! I’m learning to notice the positive and the small moments of pure joy.

Q. What is your most treasured possession?
A. Apart from my children, my husband, my family. I think it’s my knowledge in my own self-worth – this allows me to forge forward and do so many things. My childhood memories are treasures.

Q. Where is your ideal place to live?
A. France, Spain somewhere – perhaps. Morocco? Where I live now is probably a lot of people’s ideal places to live, and I feel super happy about living here. It will be my ideal when our house is finished and I have my own big studio to play in!

Q. If money were no object, where would you take off to?
A. Oh France, Spain, Italy. India would be interesting - visual and creative overload!

Q. What is your favourite thing to cook for your friends?
A. I’m always experimenting with new things to cook and make. I do love making cakes, my mum taught me. And you can’t go past a good baked vege dinner. Chickpea dahl. Handmade chocolates. Just the cooking itself is what I like.

Q. What is your motto?
A. breath, notice, reflect, enjoy. Also “it’s not fair” gets a fair bit of play in our house, and often I want to shout it out loud!

Ellie's blog is: petalplum.blogspot.com 
Ellie's website is: redseedstudio.com.au





No comments:

Post a Comment