Thursday, April 12, 2012

Profile: Belinda Smith of "Pins and Needles"


Name: Belinda Smith
Stall name: Pins and needles
What are you selling at Sew & Tell? I am selling children's clothes made from Enid Gilchrist Patterns and some of my porcelain artworks inspired by my domestication as a mother. My good friend Julia Barron is joining me with her trove of vintage domestic objects and handmade goods.

Q. What is your craft / creative outlet of choice?
A. I’m knitting and crocheting for my kids at the moment but I’ll try anything!

Q. Who is your craft idol?
A. Ceramicists such as Lucie Rie, Marea Gazzard and Gwyn Hanson Piggott

Q. Who taught you to craft?
A. Mum was always doing something crafty, so were my grandmothers. What I haven’t learnt from them I have learned myself.

Q. Who or what inspires you to be creative?
A. The satisfaction of making something useful or beautiful.

Q. Which talent would you most like to have?
A. Patience and more time and space to learn the skills of a studio potter

Q. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A. A happy, creative family

Q. What is your greatest fear?
A. Losing my family

Q. What is your current state of mind?
A. Exhausted – a toddler and 3 month old baby are keeping me busy plus a new creative business venture.

Q. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
A. For now, being creative with a toddler and 3 month old to feed, wash, clothe and love

Q. What is your most treasured possession?
A. A vintage cupboard that my grandfather made for my granny. It was a glory box first, then a radio cabinet. Now it lives at our house.

Q. Where is your ideal place to live?
A. Here and now

Q. Favourite holiday destination?
A. The beach

Q. If money were no object, where would you take off to?
A. Sweden to see my sweet friend Maria and meet her kids. We haven’t seen each other for 5 years and have both had kids since.

Q. Can you tell us about your best vintage find?
A. A huge school blackboard with a timber frame and chalk ledge. It is the centerpiece of our little house.

Q. What is your favourite thing to cook for your friends?
A. Cakes

Q. What is your motto?
A. There is a nice Swedish word ‘lagom’, it means ‘not too much, and not too little’





No comments:

Post a Comment