Friday, May 25, 2012

Profile: Carmel Debreuil of "Put a Word on It"


Name: Carmel Debreuil
Stall name: Put a Word on It
What are you selling at Sew & Tell? Paintings and portraits

Q. What is your craft / creative outlet of choice?
A. I paint portraits and paintings in acrylic on ply. I'v done it for years and I love it.

Q. Who is your craft idol?
A. As an artist my idol was my dad, as a crafter it would be my mum - she is an amazing quilter. Plus there are many bloggers who do trashion that I really admire. There is some unreal talent out there.

Q. Who taught you to craft?
A. I was taught to paint and draw by my dad and to sew and cook by my mum.

Q. Who or what inspires you to be creative?
A. My family is all very creative and I'm surrounded by a large group of very creative friends. I create best with music as my companion. And also I come up with a lot of ideas just before bed or while driving in a silent car.

Q. Which talent would you most like to have?
A. I would love to be able to sing.

Q. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A. Anything with my immediate and extended family and also my friends. But I also love the solitary time I spend while painting.

Q. What is your greatest fear?
A. Loss of family and friends.

Q. What is your current state of mind?
A. Frantic! I'm a bit ADHD so I'm always trying to cram as much as I can in during the day.

Q. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
A. My kids, my marriage and my passion for life and all that comes with it.

Q. What is your most treasured possession?
A. It sounds corny, but love. I recently lost my father and it's amazing how true the saying is "you can't take it with you". I have many material items that I love but to gather around my father's hospital bed and know he was surrounded by love, was an amazing experience.
So definitely the love of family and friends is truly my most treasured possession. And my 20 year old easel from france! hehe

Q. Where is your ideal place to live?
A. Exactly where I am now. I love Australia and I'm so glad to be here. I immigrated from Canada which I also love, but Australia felt like home from the moment the plane touched down.

Q. Favourite holiday destination?
A. Going camping anywhere. Give me a fire and a tent and some water and I'm pretty much happy. I would love to play Survivor!

Q. If money were no object, where would you take off to?
A. Well, I'd take the family and go on an around the world trip. I'd love them to experience Europe, I'd love to spend more time in New York, and I could probably handle some time in a place like the Maldives and Tahiti. And if you send me to Japan or Korea, I'll start eating on arrival and won't stop till they squeeze my fat butt on the plane out.

Q. Can you tell us about your best vintage find?
A. Oh wow. I've got hundreds of amazing vintage items. I recently bought a fantastic vintage Merivale dress for about fifty bucks and I think it's worth about $400! I also have a great handkerchief dress from the 70's that I got at a garage sale in Byron for $10 - I get compliments every time I wear it. I also recovered an old chair that I found under a house - it looks retro and brand new at the same time!

Q. What is your favourite thing to cook for your friends?
A. Lately it's a toss up between Korean BBQ or a sport meal of Buffalo Chicken Wings and Jalapeno popper dip.

Q. What is your motto?
A. Blood is thicker than piss. That was my dad's actually. I think its about family, but it could just be about beer.






No comments:

Post a Comment